VIC How to Freeze Friend's Bank Account?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The reasons and ability to do this are very few, and very restricted. You're effectively interfering in someone else's contractual relationship where you are not a party to the contract. You would need to:

(a) Contact the bank and convince them to do so (doubtful this is going to happen);
(b) Have a government authority direct the bank to do so under one of their powers; or
(b) Obtain a court order.

9 November 2017
Thanks Rob for replying.

The money was proceeds from my business which is a partnership with my wife. We have the relevant documentation this friend was going to be a partner in the business and his bookkeeper insisted that the monies go into the new joint account partnership account that I had with him after he received the two payments of over $20,000.

He will not answer he's phones and cannot be contacted so I guess I can sue him for the money. Would be good to know how to word the first letter that I may send him demanding payment.

Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can't freeze a bank account on the basis of a civil claim.

There are plenty of demand letter templates on the Internet. It's basically just a matter of stating what you want, why and giving them a reasonable timeframe in which to reply.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thanks Rob for replying.
The money was proceeds from my business which is a partnership with my wife. We have the relevant documentation this friend was going to be a partner in the business and his bookkeeper insisted that the monies go into the new joint account partnership account that I had with him after he received the two payments of over $20,000. He will not answer he's phones and cannot be contacted so I guess I can sue him for the money. Would be good to know how to word the first letter that I may send him demanding payment.
Thanks

Well that is a bit confusing? You set up a joint account 'after' her received the two payments??

So you put large sums of money in his private account and wonder why he is not answering his phone? You were conned! But he is also a fool because electronic money transfers leave a trail. ... i bet he tried to coax you to pay him in cash at some point?