QLD How to follow a criminal matter in the district court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey guys and girls,

I know of a criminal matter that has/will be moving from the magistrates court to the district court.

I am not a party to this case.

Is there anyway I can get information on the case specifically the dates that the matter is in court next and or anything else in relation to the matter?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. Ask the party/ parties.
2. Have a look at the online registry and see if it's listed there.
3. Contact the Registry and ask if they can give you any dates.
Note that they are unlikely to release any details about charges, pleas, or evidence
to some random who just rings up.
They may argue privacy on this, and be correct to do so.

If you're not a party, then why do you need to know?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Morning Tim,

My ex and I have a currently running FCOA matter. (we are both self represented currently and have an ICL)
My ex has gotten herself into a bit of trouble with the police over the last two years.

1. Despite rules of disclosure, Orders from a Judge and requests from the ICL the ex is never forthcoming with information. Subpoena of the QPS has been the only way to get anything. (4 over a two year period)
2. That's just the daily lists which I would need to check every day? There is no register for future dates anywhere that I don't know about?
3. Yeah that's my last resort I suppose.

4. Being informed about the ongoing criminal matters is handy for Family Court.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Ah, I see.
So you want to use her being prosecuted
as a weapon against her in your Family Court proceeding?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
The short answer to the question is yes, as her criminal matters are relevant to the family matters.

When she chooses to not disclose despite rule 13.01 and not follow specific Orders to disclose mad by a Judge I'm looking for alternate ways to obtain the information outside of subpoena due to the cost and time constraints.

Calling the registry appears to be a valid option to obtain the next listing date at a minimum. I welcome further suggestions should yourself or anyone else have any.