VIC how to apply for grandparents visitation rights through family court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sal1

24 June 2016
I live in Queensland, my granddaughter lives in Victoria. There is a final hearing in family law where family relationship counsellor has proposed for my granddaughter to remain living with her non biological father and he is to make decisions about her life.
I would like to know how I go about applying for visitation rights through the family circuit in Geelong as he has already refused my granddaughter visiting her terminally ill grandfather .
Appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

sammy01

27 September 2015
If you can afford a solicitor do that.
Before you do you could try mediation with a mob like Relationships Australia. It is cheap Can be done by phone.
I hate to say this but based on the fact that the non-biological dad has been granted sole parental responsibility, I think you might struggle. But I don't have enough detail from you post to say anything with certianty...

Sal1

24 June 2016
Before you do you could try mediation with a mob like Relationships Australia. It is cheap Can be done by phone.
I hate to say this but based on the fact that the non-biological dad has been granted sole parental responsibility, I think you might struggle. But I don't have enough detail from you post to say anything with certianty...
Thanks
thanks for your reply . He hasn’t been awarded it , it has been recommended . With 50/50 equal share with my daughter . Do you mean mediation would be difficult with him or applying for visitation difficult ?

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok so forget court. Your daughther will have 50/50 care? when the child is in her care she can visit you guys that is pretty much the best you can hope for.