QLD How to Access Superannuation While in Prison?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jh1

11 October 2017
Hi there,

I was wondering what the process was for accesing superannuation while in prison. I understand the process for early access of super under normal circumstances eg financial hardship requires 26 weeks on centrelink allowance. However I cannot find anything on the requirements and process for accessing superannuation while you are in prison?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I haven’t encountered this situation before, but my first question would be - what is the hardship being faced?

jh1

11 October 2017
I haven’t encountered this situation before, but my first question would be - what is the hardship being faced?

The hardship is financial hardship as he has bills that are outstanding and cannot pay for them, he is not on centrelink obviously.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I doubt it would qualify. The reasons for an early release of super are:
- Severe hardship, such that the funds are necessary to meet reasonable and immediate family living expenses;
- Medical expenses;
- Expenses relating to a severe disability (eg renovations to a home to make it accessible); or
- To pay a mortgage to prevent the loss of your home.

It's unlikely that general bills will qualify. Immediate living expenses are covered by being in prison; so is medical from my understanding. The only thing that might qualify is if a house is owned and the bank is threatening to foreclose.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
I'm inclined to agree with @Rob Legat - SBPL

Schedule 1 of SISR lists the 'conditions of release' of superannuation.

Item 105 sets out severe financial hardship - As Rob has mentioned you probably won't qualify given what you've mentioned - I agree with him.

Another avenue you could try Item 107 - Compassionate Grounds - As this leaves it to the discretion of a regulator (DHS). Reg 6.19A(f) of SISR: To meet expenses in other cases where the release is consistent with a ground as the regulator determines. Although I doubt whether you'd fall under this ground too but you could none the less try. Again, it's at the discretion of the regulator.