QLD How serious is failure to appear?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
13 June 2018
Hi, a relative of mine has about 4 failure to appear charges (for a rather long list of minor drug-related offences e.g. several possession charges, failure to dispose, DUI etc). He may also have one for fleeing custody at the hospital. Just wondering how serious this is, what advice I might be able to give him (other than "turn up to court you moron"), what he can expect at court. He has an active addiction and an upcoming court date. He seems to feel it will be adjourned as his first court date was adjourned (I believe he didn't turn up to any of the dates it was adjourned to?)

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi, a relative of mine has about 4 failure to appear charges (for a rather long list of minor drug-related offences e.g. several possession charges, failure to dispose, DUI etc). He may also have one for fleeing custody at the hospital. Just wondering how serious this is, what advice I might be able to give him (other than "turn up to court you moron"), what he can expect at court. He has an active addiction and an upcoming court date. He seems to feel it will be adjourned as his first court date was adjourned (I believe he didn't turn up to any of the dates it was adjourned to?)
Every person has couple of warnings, then at the end, he will be in trouble, maybe an arrest warrant will be issued.

13 June 2018
He was arrested and given a new court date. As I understand it he had a warrant out for his arrest for some weeks beforehand? He was arrested at home.