NSW How Much Time will Family Court Give Me with Child?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S-c-o-t-t

22 February 2016
Hi everyone,

I want to do mediation with the other party and so far, the mother allow me to see my daughter for 6 hours every week. If I go to family court, how much can I have my daughter as I want my daughter overnight and I want to see her in public holidays and school holidays?

I'm working full time from 7am-3pm every day and my daughter is 3 and half years old and she loves me so much.

Thank you for help.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
What's the travel distance between you and mum? Have you seen the child regularly since separation?

sammy01

27 September 2015
So the family law act says something like - a magistrate must consider 50/50 where practical. Now that definitely doesn't mean 50/50 is a given. But it is something a magistrate must at least consider.

You're gonna have to make some tough choices - you work 7am-3pm every day? Start taking every second weekend off and start work late on the Monday - all of a sudden you could have the kid from Friday arvo till Monday morning. And that is what the courts would give you as a minimum based on the information provided.

But to be fair, you have not provided much information to go on.

S-c-o-t-t

22 February 2016
Thanks every one . So I live in Liverpool and the mother live in Campsie, which about 45 mins drive .for one year and half I drive to pick up my daughter. Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
Unless there is good grounds, the courts would expect each parent to do half the travel.

Blessing

20 April 2017
Sydney NSW
You can always ask for weekends or every other weeked, Fridays to Sunday's, one evening during the week and school holidays.

It's not automatic that parties share travel, some only one party, say for example, you would be responsible for pick up and drop offs.

Reactions: MartyK