NSW How long does it take to finalize a Will

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 June 2017
I am a resident of the United States and my Aunt passed away living in Australia. She passed in March of 2016. I found out thru a common friend last month that me and my family were the sole beneficiary's of the estate. I contacted the lawyer last month and announced myself as a beneficiary and my name and address were in the Will. Again we were never contacted by either the lawyer nor the executor. Now Im being told they need an additional 3 months to complete the process. This will make it 16 months. There was no real estate to be sold. I"m I wrong to think this is taking to long and the executor is not fulfilling his obligations?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
If you only identified yourself last month and they asked for 3 more months, I don't think that unreasonable. Generally they say most estates are finalised within 9 to 12 months, but longer if it is difficult to locate beneficiaries and they say in these cases it can take several years. I would be inclined to allow the 3 months before you start applying pressure.

9 June 2017
But identifing myself last month is a major part of my complaint. My name and address were in the Will and I was never notified I was a benefactor. I had to contact the funeral home to get the attorny s name and contact him to find out I was mentioned in the will.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
Below is a link to an online form for the NSW Trustee and Guardian. Write to them regarding the late notification even with your name on the will and raise the point that the lawyer isn't fulfilling their duty in a timely manner. If the cant help they will direct you to who can.
Contact Us | The NSW Trustee and Guardian

Reactions: Unhappy foreigner