VIC How long do I give an owners corp to do their job

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fedup2

22 January 2019
I live in an apartment and water is dripping (sometimes running) onto my balcony from the one above. It’s highly likely it’s aircon related given it’s dripping from where their compressor is located, and it only happens on hot days, however in truth I don’t know the real cause. I reported it to the owners corp last summer and they initiated steps to investigate the issue. I followed them up repeatedly expressing my frustration at the time things were taking and was told ‘this will take time’ - ie ‘back off’. Summer ended, and the dripping stopped, so based on the feedback I left them to it. Now summer has returned, and so has the dripping, and the owners corp are starting to ‘investigate’ again, with no information on what happened last year, or when anything will be done to fix the issue. I can easily see this dragging on into the winter and being in exactly the same situation next summer. How can I hold the owners corp accountable for either fixing the issue, or if it’s not their responsibility to do so, for ensuring that whoever is does so?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd give them 30 days. There is no fixed timeframe and so a reasonable time needs to be given. 30 days is reasonable if there is no immediate health or safety issue.

If they fail to fix the problem, get quotes to fix it from your end and take them to VCAT for the cost to rectify.