QLD How Does DVO Work in Relation to Contact?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bobby Whitlow

23 March 2017
I have a DVO against them but they have my daughter and refuse to let me talk or see her.

I can still contact the person named in the DVO for the purpose of arranging time with my daughter, right? They scream at me that I am breaching the DVO when I try to talk to them, but the DVO is only against them not me.

This is right, isn't it? I haven't been able to talk about it with my lawyer

sammy01

27 September 2015
When I had an avo against me I was advised by my solicitor to refuse any contact in order to avoid breeching the avo... Your best bet is to get to mediation with relationships Australia as they will help with mediation without the need for expensive solicitors.

MartyK

4 June 2016
I have a DVO against them but they have my daughter and refuse to let me talk or see her.

I can still contact the person named in the DVO for the purpose of arranging time with my daughter, right? They scream at me that I am breaching the DVO when I try to talk to them, but the DVO is only against them not me.

This is right, isn't it? I haven't been able to talk about it with my lawyer

So, the DVO has been taken out by you against them. I'm not surprised that they do not want any form of contact with you. I am a little surprised, however, that you would be contacting them, even in relation to your child, especially if you have genuine fears for your safety. Which is precisely the reason a DVO should be taken out in my view.

In any event, if there are issues surrounding access to your child you should make an application to the Family Court (Federal Circuit Court). You can bypass mediation if there is a DVO in place.