NSW How do I find out what my friend was charged with??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tanya0503

26 July 2018
My friend was in court yesterday for committal hearing and has been refused bail. He’s in the court house holding cells how do I find out what he’s charged with?

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Unless I am mistaken NSW no longer has committal hearings.

I am sure someone from NSW will correct me if I am wrong.

But I doubt you can find out unless you speak to him... and if NSW is anything like QLD when in a watch house holding cell only he can initiate contact with you.

Tanya0503

26 July 2018
It was a first appearance committal hearing. Is there anyway I can find out who his lawyer is? I don’t know if I should contact his family or ?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My friend was in court yesterday for committal hearing and has been refused bail. He’s in the court house holding cells how do I find out what he’s charged with?
Chances are, he won't spend too long in the court cells.
Typically, bail-refused people are only kept in court cells until there's a "bed" in remand (and/or a secure vehicle to transport them) available.

As to what he's been charged with - you pretty much don't have any general right to know.
He can choose to tell you, but he doesn't have to.
Maybe one of his family and/or friends might tell you, but they don't have to.
You could ask the prosecutor, but they certainly don't have to tell you.

Tanya0503

26 July 2018
Is there anyway I can find out who the prosecutor was? Can bail be granted during a mention in local court? That is his next appearance but I was told it will be via video link. I'm quite concerned as I have feelings for him but also because I don't know what he is accused of and he was around my kids.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
ACCR is irrelevant.
It's just an unofficial attendance list published by a PI in Brisbane.