VIC How Can DOCS Take Newborn Baby?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kelly knight

13 August 2016
How can the Department of Health and Human Services (DOCS) take our newborn baby when there is no proof or reports of abuse? How is it better for a newborn baby to be taken from the parents for no valid reason and thrown into foster care with complete strangers?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
DOCS doesn't just hang out in the hospital waiting to cherry-pick infants for foster care. There is always a reason given for their involvement. What reason have they given you?

Kelly knight

13 August 2016
DOCS doesn't just hang out in the hospital waiting to cherry-pick infants for foster care. There is always a reason given for their involvement. What reason have they given you?

When I asked the worker this question, she replied, "based on concerns". I asked "what are the concerns?", she couldn't answer me. The court paper which has no signature or reference number says the child has suffered or is likely to suffer significant harm.

I would like to know how the child has or is likely to suffer. She couldn't answer me and only a doctor should be allowed to make this diagnosis. No reports from any professionals have been made against me.

Kelly knight

13 August 2016
And how can I cause any harm when my child was in a hospital and I was supervised by hospital staff. Aren't they supposed to report any child abuse matters to police?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
They don't need "proof" or "reports of abuse".
All they need is reasonable concerns for the well being of the child.
There are lots of reasons why they could have these kinds of concerns,
and concerns could have been raised at any point during your pregnancy.