SA House on Caveat Still Sold - What Happens Next?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Leanne1300

25 June 2017
So my "ex" husband sold our family home behind my back, but I managed to get a caveat in time. The conveyancer still went through with the sale as they did not check for the caveat on day of settlement. What can I do? The money is apparently in trust but the sale has gone through and they are unable to transfer titles due to caveat.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Leanne,

You should speak with a lawyer. The conveyancer could be in a bit of trouble here, but at least it stoped the transfer of titles.

Reactions: Leanne1300

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Lance, it's time for you to get a lawyer.

(Stuff like this is why conveyancers should only work as supervised employees of solicitors....)

Reactions: Rod

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you have no objections to the house being sold, the price received for it and are happy to have a portion of the sale proceeds, then possibly you can agree to release the caveat IF the money is first held in trust at a solicitor of your choosing. That way your solicitor has a duty owed to you and if he stuffs up you can claim against your solicitor. As it stands now whoever is holding it on trust may not owe you any duties.