QLD Implications of Hosting AirBnB as Single Parent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Laquisha

11 June 2018
Hi

Anybody have any experience with a single parent hosting AirBnb and the Family Court's take on it for when the child is in this parent's care?

malcolm_smith

9 June 2018
I was hosting with my kids living with me for about a year. I consider it was a good experience for my kids. They got to meet people from all around the world, and my youngest who is quite social, really enjoyed the opportunities to interact and engage with new people.

However, my ex took great issue with it and in fact went to great lengths to stop me from doing it. She reported me to child protection. They closed her complaint as it was vague and there was no evidence of abuse or neglect.

When we were in mediation the mediator advised my ex that just as I couldn't place stipulations upon how she managed things when the children were in her care she could not do the same to me. eg. if she is using sitters, after school care or having boyfriends stay I had no say.

The safety and well being of the children are the responsibility of the care parent at a given time.

I'll let you know in a month what the family court have got to say on the airbnb matter, however, the Lawyer I saw said it's a nonsense, she didn't see it as an issue and didn't consider that the family court would. She did ask me if I claimed the income appropriately, I'd just make sure you do everything above board in relation to tax.

malcolm_smith

9 June 2018
My good friend Leanne has been airbnbing as a single mum now for about six months and she's been having a good experience.

In Australia I think we are lucky and people are generally honest and well behaved. I think people have had more negative experiences overseas. I mostly got young holidaying couples, and being near a university lots of students and professionals transition to study or work at the uni.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Personally, I would not do it. The children have already suffered tremendous disruption to their home environment as a result of the separation. In all the wide wide world, a child needs a little place that is their own, its the home environment.

A place where they can be completely themselves and have their own time with their own family. If you bring strangers in, it destroys that 'home' environment. The Children will appear to cope, of course they will, but never the less, they have lost that true home environment.... (in the sense that it belongs to them alone)

Reactions: Laquisha

Laquisha

11 June 2018
Well said Clancy. I think it is all well and good if everything goes ok, but what if you are a single mum, living semi-remotely and something happens when one of your guests are not kosher?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Eh, I don't really see that much will turn on this in family law proceedings, though.

While Clancy may have a valid point here among friends, the Court probably won't put much weight in it because it's really just speculation until it can be demonstrated that the child is actually at risk of harm from it. Of course, you can't always know who is 'kosher' and who is not, but neither can the Court. By asking the Court to restrict a parent from hosting as AirBnB accommodation on grounds that 'any one of your guests might not be kosher', you're asking the Court to speculate that every guest is more likely than not to pose a risk of harm to the child.

The Court also doesn't like to micro-manage parents or infringe on their individual freedoms because of differences in opinion about parenting styles.

I am not saying I agree with it, I just don't see that this will likely have much influence in family law, that's all.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well said Clancy. I think it is all well and good if everything goes ok, but what if you are a single mum, living semi-remotely and something happens when one of your guests are not kosher?

What I am talking about applies even under the best of circumstances. I understand there is a greater risk, but that reason alone would not stop me doing it, it is the reason I mention above that stops me doing it. You know, life is risk, don't hide from it, you gotta go with it and just do the best you can.

malcolm_smith

9 June 2018
Whatever you've gotta to make ends meet and keep a roof over your head.

At least with airbnb there is some accountability and can have people's identities verified depending on your booking options. if you were to get a tenant through other means such as Facebook, housemate finder or gumtree, short of having them obtain a working with children's check, you don't really have a means to verify anything about them.

Laquisha

11 June 2018
OK to complicate the issue then - if we take that the court cannot (and most probably won't) assume that every guest is going to be a problem then what if one of the parents is a sex worker and work from home. Will the Court then have to apply the same rule to say that your clients are not bad until they are bad?

I know there is a great difference between being a sex worker and hosting an AirBnB but if hosting an AirBnB is your only source of income (because you choose it to be) you can potentially have different guests every night. Suppose it will be, like everything else, up to the Judge on the day of judgement.

So the question is then what rules does the Court have to apply if one of the parents is in a "risky" profession?