QLD Home Security Alarm System Monitoring Contract - Charged for Termination Fee?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Viky

26 April 2014
Hi I have emailed the above letter to the security company today , I shall update you with their reply. thank you.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Viky,
Your letter appears to be a step in the right direction.
For any future correspondence, you may consider using headings and bullet points for improved readability.
Please keep us updated as to your progress!

Viky

26 April 2014
I have not received any reply from the security business as yet. I shall post the reply here once I receive it.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Good luck Viky!

Viky

26 April 2014
Hi John, the fact that I have sent the security business a challenging email makes me feel better. I am not sure what the end result will be . But at least I am happy I am trying to do something about what I felt was deeply wrong on their part.

The people I am dealing with are not very straight ( they have potential to twist and fabricate things), they are already in a legal battle with the person they sold their old security company business to with regards to cutting in and taking over their clients, in think this happened last year. This is their new business with a new name whose owner is still the same but now his young son in law and daughter are main person taking care of the business, therefore I have not been able to speak with the owner of the company whom I first spoke with. Any ways I will keep things posted.

Is the worst outcome be that I have to pay up the contract amount, or could it be worse than that.

Just to be prepared.

Thank you.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Is the worst outcome be that I have to pay up the contract amount, or could it be worse than that.

I'm not sure about the business you are dealing with but some businesses (generally larger businesses) sell their debts to debt collectors.
In the event that the debt is sold to a debt collector, they would generally require payment of the contract amount plus any interest that may be payable under the contract.
The ACCC's website has further information in relation to debt collectors.

Perhaps consider making a follow-up call to the business this week to confirm that they have received your letter/email to attempt to expedite resolution?

Viky

26 April 2014
Hi I have posted the reply I have received , this is the same reply I received last year. Options are the same either continue the service or pay the termination fee which is now about $900. It sounds as if they have done this before and knows what to expect or say if any investigation occurs. I am weighing my options now.

Hi ,
I’m writing today in regards to the email dated 27/04/14. We note that there are a lot of discrepancies’ and have thoroughly looked through your file, for your knowledge your system was reporting perfectly up until the 24/04/14 where a courtesy call was made and you were notified. And you have a valid and current contract, to terminate this contract find the attached cancellation options. We also wish to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on the office phone.

Account Manager

Viky

26 April 2014
I have obviously asked them to elaborate on and explain to me what they mean by lot of discrepancies’.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Viky,
Thanks for the update. Please let us know how the business responds in relation to discrepancies. In the interim, given that you are dissatisfied with the outcomes, you may consider filing a complaint with the Queensland Office of Fair Trading online (link posted previously in this thread) for their investigation.