Hi there, I posted on here 2 months ago an received some great advice, which led to a signed agreement between the builder and myself to extend the original contract, as they had not completed the works in this period. The new date has now passed, and from this time (as written into the signed agreement), I will be getting a small compensation package. However, since the second completion date has passed - what avenues do I now have? Do I just have to sit back and wait, or can I request a new completion date? I am well aware that they may provide a new date and continuously go over that... Which I am worried about (since signing new reviews have come to light and seems the builder is notorious for not delivering work on time). There is no reasoning to the builder not meeting the new completion date. We are consistently told there are no delays (which I have written evidence of), yet we are literally waiting month's between each stage of work. FYI our slab was down January 2014, initial contact end date was November 2014, extension of contract was January 2015 (exact dates withheld) Thank you in advance. If I can provide you with more information, please don't hesitate to ask me.