VIC Hidden Recording Threat

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AN_ALIAS

28 August 2017
A worker has threatened to give my boss a hidden voice recording of myself.
he claims the recording device was hidden in my office by a former worker and has convinced himself that makes him in the clear. he claims he has listened to the recording(s) and i am fairly sure he may have already discussed the content with my boss.
I have since reported it to my boss, and he also seems to believe the worker has done nothing illegal.

For the record, I am not at all concerned with the content on the recordings.

I am now in a very awkward position being this workers manager and having to continue working with them.
Do i have to suck it up? or are there grounds for legal action against the worker, and possibly my employer? (the latter i do not wish to pursue if i dont have to)

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the worker was not present when the recordings were made there's a good chance he has broken the law by using an illegally obtained recording, even though he didn't record it himself.

There may also be grounds for dismissal involving lack of good faith and loss of trust.

Reactions: AN_ALIAS

AN_ALIAS

28 August 2017
Does having admitted to listening to the recordings make him an accomplice? then discussing the content also contribute? if no recordings ever surface, surely whatever he discussed should be classed as made up stories about me?
I would think if he did bring in the recordings he is breaking the law for sure, but is threatening to also breaking the law?

I do feel a bit let down by my employer. this is actually the second time I have reported this happening (same people involved), the first time was completely ignored.
This time I just left the building, to try to force the issue, and refused to come back until confirmation there was no illegal surveillance devices hidden in the building.

AN_ALIAS

28 August 2017
Ok.
So now i am not being paid for the two days i took off to force the issue.
Last time i reported it i was completely ignored. I literally did not even get a reply.
This time i walked out and said im not coming back until they do something. Resulting in me having 2 days absence.

This guy is still working there, nothing happened except he was told he is naughty boy.
Now i lose two days pay.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Tough call. Rock the boat too much and you lose your job.

Hard to say what to do because it comes down to how important your job is versus what is right.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I know. Sounds like you have toxic management.