NSW Help

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Scared

3 May 2020
Police rang me to say my foto was on fb page for shoplifting, i suffer from ptsd and when very depressed i steal one thing, police said i was identified and asked was it me, i said no, she said she would send police around to my address, but i am homeless at the moment so they wont find me there, what should i do? If they cant find me is there a certain time they have to charge me? Gratefull for any help

capsmallcap

9 May 2020
You haven't been charged yet by the sound of it. Do not try to actively hide or run from the police, that is pointless.
If you are charged and they can't find you, it doesn't just magically disappear. The statute of limitations is likely 2 years or greater (don't actually know, but it won't be short).

When police talk to you, you say "No comment". No matter what question they ask you:
"What colour is the sky"

You reply:
"No comment"

Your only LEGAL obligation is to give them your name, address and date of birth.
Anything else, "No comment".

Never speak to police without legal representation.

Reactions: Scared

mkpro

20 July 2020
You can see a gp for a psych referral if you feel you were under mental illness. This can help you if they do end up charging- your lawyer can advise them to drop the charges based on mental health or explain to judge ..can't rem the section
disclaimer im not a lawyer, get professional advice