QLD Help with Writing a Case Outline for Family Law Case?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cairns123

16 January 2018
I have to write this in a very complex and complicated family law case. I am unrepresented and cannot find anything online after hours of looking.

There is so much to write, he has volumes of lies in his stuff that I have evidence for, but both the parenting and financial are complicated.

Lennon

11 September 2014
I assume that there are orders about the case outline? What were you ordered to file?

Cairns123

16 January 2018
I assume that there orders about the case outline? What were you ordered to file?

Hi, I was ordered to send to the respondent's lawyers information so they could file a joint case summary document with respect to the children setting out

1. issues in dispute, 2. estimate of number of witnesses and

3. Time required for trial

Then I was ordered to file a Case Outline containing a chronology and applications intended to be relied on at trial.

Thanks

Lennon

11 September 2014
So, when I do a chronology (this is not legal advice), I usually set it out in a table with the following headings:

Date Event Reference

In the "Date" column I put the date of the event, in the "Event" column I insert an extremely brief description of the event (ie "Parties marry") and in the "Reference" column I put a reference to where that evidence can be found (ie "Affidavit of Joseph Smith sworn on 1 January 2018, paragraph 15").

The chronology should only refer to matters that are relevant to matters in issue in the proceedings (nothing irrelevant).

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Lennon is a lawyer, FYI. His not-legal-advice advice is good.

Cairns123

16 January 2018
Thank you both for your help. If I may ask one for question please.

If it is very complex, as in really complex - can I section out the chronology in groups? I.e. one group financial, the other parenting, then subsection under those into parts, like assets, income, etc., in financial and best each child separately in the parenting due to different needs and disabilities to keep subject matter together or keep it completely in date order.

Some things range over 25 years, and many over 5+ years and I think the judge would find it easier in groups and subroups.

Lennon

11 September 2014
Hi Brisbane123, that is a difficult question to answer without having the benefit of understanding the issues.

Ordinarily, a chronology would include all relevant facts in date order and would not be separated under different headings. What I would usually do in a more complex chronology would be to add an additional column which would be numbered from 1 onward, and use that numbering to cross-reference subsequent matters where appropriate (for example you might have an entry on a particular date, which referred to a factual event "Settlement of purchase of house at 1 John Street, Maryland (see no. 485 re refinancing of this property)".

If the amount of material that you want to put into a chronology is so detailed and extensive that you don't think it can be understood without headings, I think you really need to think very hard whether all of the material that you want to put in is truly relevant.

Ultimately it is a judgment call for you to make, but I would strongly suggest that you try to create a chronology that has all facts within it, in chronological order.

Also remember that a chronology is not a piece of evidence, it is really just a tool to assist the court.

Cairns123

16 January 2018
Thank you so much. I didn't realise it couldn't be used as evidence. Yes, I agree re-trying to analyse what is pertinent and what is not. I am trying to go by the sections that apply and working off the criteria from there so as to not include all the waffle and historical stuff that is of no consequence.

Nothing like a law degree by proxy to go along with the accounting degree by proxy when you have never attended uni.

Thanks

Hi Brisbane123, that is a difficult question to answer without having the benefit of understanding the issues.