QLD Outdated Consent Orders - What Can Son Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brizgirl

17 January 2017
Hi!

I have current consent orders (Qld) that were put in place in 2004. My ex and I have been civil and maintained a fortnightly and holiday visitation since that time with little trouble. My son's circumstances are rapidly changing as he is now 16, entering year 12 and studying a pretty demanding course of subjects.

He has a job that he would like to take on more hours and he wants to invest more time into his friendships and personal interests. He is becoming increasingly frustrated that he has to miss out on important events and opportunities as he is feeling trapped in this rigid every second weekend lifestyle.

My question is, these consent orders were put in place to protect the rights and interests of a 3 1/2-year-old child. So much has changed since then, so are we bound to this consent order until he is 18? Can he legally negotiate with his father to alter visitation in order to better facilitate the growing demands of his life, or do we need to go to court to have the consent orders amended?

This is not a situation where my son doesn't want to see his father. I just want to be able to inform him what his rights are so we can initiate a conversation with his father, with the facts.

Thanks for any help you may have

sammy01

27 September 2015
Have a chat with dad first - if you come up with an agreement, great. If not, the kid can do what he wants and then dad would have to take it to court.

I reckon a good solicitor would tell dad not to worry, but lets look for compromises - can the kid have dinner with dad every Tuesday for example?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Agree with Sammy. Father needs to accept his son is growing up and wants to be independent and make his own decisions,

Son, or you, having a chat with him is the best way to start the process of change. It is not necessarily easy admitting the kid is getting older and some people don't like to accept it. But some do, so chat first. It doesn't have to be an immediate change, it can be gradual.