NSW Help for a Wellness Check

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeannie84

29 April 2020
I’m wanting to know how to go about a successful wellness check on my child. He’s 16yrs (17 in July) and currently living with his father and his partner and subsequent children from his and her own past relationships. My son is the eldest within the children.

My son is contacting me on the sly and stating things that his father has smashed his phone, he only has access to wifi (no phone credit or ability to make calls), he sees his father reject my calls to him, he’s also stating that his father requests numerous times a day to go out in the yard to fight him, he believes there’s drug use by both adults and prostitution from the father’s partner. He has been hit on the head etc by the other children and there are no consequences to the other children. However my son is verbally abused for not eating an ingredient within a meal (he’s never liked this food), his father has threatened numerous times to drop him at the train station with the clothes on his back (remembering he has no phone call access to call anyone)

I need to know whether I am best to contact the local police station or FACS? I need to know whether I can request whoever conducts the check that they speak with my son - as he’s stated he will speak up if given the chance and given the safety to do so, with a Chance of being removed without his father being able to harm him or punish him, should he be left there after a wellness check.

sammy01

27 September 2015
how far do you live from child?
Are there court orders?
does the child live with or spend time with you? if so how often?
The child is in contact with you? true? if so how?

Look lots of questions BUT I'm not gonna give advice that could backfire and put the kid in harm's way.

Jeannie84

29 April 2020
Child lives less than an hour away
No court orders, just a mutual agreement between child’s parents (me - mother) and his father. Child stole from my current partner and went to live with father as showed no remorse etc and father offered to “take on responsibility of getting child on straight and narrow”
Child does not live with me and time spent with has been extremely limited and small catch ups due to the covid19 issues etc
Child is only in contact when has access to wifi via messenger app, no other means of contact otherwise and when I attempt to call father to discuss medical appts my calls are rejected so I send a text and that’s not getting responses either. Child states to me via messaging that they’ve witnessed the father reject calls etc.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Has child categorically stated that he wants to return to live with you? Change schools? all that comes with moving an hour away?
I'd suggest talking to the police about a welfare check and ask them specifically if the child would like to come with the police if he doesn't feel safe. MAYBE if communication with the child is achievable you could ask the kid if that is what he wants so he can pack and get his stuff ready to leave. He won't be able to take much.

My concern - the kid has history here of being a, um what's the word? hmmm PRAT. Stealing from your partner? Is this a kid looking for an easy out and telling some lies to get there because he doesnt want dad to 'get him on the straight and narrow'?

Reactions: Been2Trial