QLD "Help"!!! Financially connected after divorced for 9years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Luke75

2 February 2019
My ex-wife purchased her house (principal house for both of us) under 12months before we married. After married, she had refinanced adding my name on mortgage but not on title as I was the sole income provider. We divorced 10years later in 2011 and I was happy to walk away with nothing but have my name removed from the loan. I spent 1 ½ years and over 20K on legal fees I ran out of money and had to stop. 8years later, my name is still on the loan and she has no intentions of removing my name, she has not been making consistent payments which has led to me having a bad credit rating as she pays the loan whenever she feels like. Due to irregular payments the home loan has not reduced at all over this period due to penalty fees and high interest rates due to this. She is not willing to sell the house either.

I am at my wits end asking her to fix the issue. I receive phone calls from the bank chasing repayments. My new partner and I cannot move on to purchase a home or car till this is sorted. Can I legally do anything to force her to remove name off mortgage or sell? Or can I sue her personally for damages and this hopefully resulting in her selling to remove my name from mortgage?