WA Harrasment and bullying

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

regret

26 May 2020
Hello to all

I'm asking a question on behalf of a friend who is being harassed at work but thinks she cannot do anything about it. We both work on the mines in WA but at different sites.

My friend, who i shall refer to as M, has held a position for 11 years and is happy with the job and most of her workmates. She has started recently seeing a coworker of hers that is on the same crew. Seeing as her new partner has just gotten out of a long term, yet unhappy, marriage there has been a few comments thrown at M. A few of her coworkers have been gossiping behind her back and the term 'Homewrecker" has been bandied about. I know there's not a great deal she can do about gossip but I have advised M to keep a diary of anything said directly towards her and to possibly talk to HR.

My real issue is things her supervisor has said directly to M's face. They are as below:
'You're just a devil woman'
'666' (in reference to being a devil and stated multiple times)
'I will tell the other married guys to watch their back'

I think this is by no means the least of it, only what she has told me is going on. My advice has been to record it, don't get angry, see HR if it gets worse and even express interest in bringing in the union or Fairwork Australia.

M knows I am researching this for her and I have her full permission.

Any advice would be helpful and very appreciated.

Thank you for taking your time to read this

WiserNow

10 September 2014
See bullying and harrassment VIC posting for legal remedies or options.

Tell your friend to look for another job or try move depts. May be hard to get a reference from her supervisor based on the comments they are saying.

She can raise it 'gently' with HR and pay very close attention to their actions.

Our beliefs get in the way and we feel so strongly that HR will do something.

HR will unlikely do anything especially to her supervisor. Easier to push her out.

Also watch her mental health. Bullying has a big impact especially when attached to our jobs and income. Look up effects of anxiety and depression. Look out for your friend.