QLD Harassment from Landlady - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharah

1 February 2017
Hi,

I need some legal help on what to do about these really nasty, falsely accussing, harassing letters from my landlord. I haven't done or said anything to her about what these 3 letters contain.

As she is a compulsive liar everything she has said is untrue. I am a Christian and would never lie about anything. She has been demanding things of which is getting beyond a joke. I have never taken any of her property and the things that have gone missing I didn't even know she had.

I hope you can help me.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have these letters been sent to anyone else?

Are you living in a share house?

Might be time to move. Someone like this can be more trouble than they are worth and you should remove them from your life (not in a criminal way!) by moving away from them. Depending on the accusations you may have grounds for moving straight away without paying any kind of penalty.

Sharah

1 February 2017
I rent the flat under the house and I am the only one with a copy if the letters. I pay private rent (centrelink don't know this either). I am looking for somewhere but there's nothing as everything is to expensive and I have pets.

All I want is for her to stop the false allegations against me and stop leaving these letters as they are full of her lies. I never reply to her about them as this what she wants.

Have these letters been sent to anyone else?

Are you living in a share house?

Might be time to move. Someone like this can be more trouble than they are worth and you should remove them from your life (not in a criminal way!) by moving away from them. Depending on the accusations you may have grounds for moving straight away without paying any kind of penalty.

Under the house

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hmm tough one, not sure a 'legal' solution is what you need at this stage.

Unless she is making some kind of demand, might be best to ignore the letters. Keep them tucked away with a note as to what you did or didn't do at the time with respect to her allegations, and take a different attitude towards her. Rather than see her as harassing, see her letters as a manifestation of some kind of disability and enjoy that fact you have a nice place for your pets.

Reactions: Sharah

Sharah

1 February 2017
Hmm tough one, not sure a 'legal' solution is what you need at this stage.

Unless she is making some kind of demand, might be best to ignore the letters. Keep them tucked away with a note as to what you did or didn't do at the time with respect to her allegations, and take a different attitude towards her. Rather than see her as harassing, see her letters as a manifestation of some kind of disability and enjoy that fact you have a nice place for your pets.
That's what I am thinking but she also said about putting security cameras to watch me outside in the yard and the front gate to who is visiting me although this is none of her business.

I certainly don't give her permission to video me. And neither do my friends. I know there is a law against allowing me quiet enjoyment of living here and this is included in the law.

I might go and have a talk to my friends husband he is a police officer. He knows of the letters. But not this recent one.