QLD Harassment from Bosses While on Sick Leave?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

belstanford

26 October 2016
I have a mental health illness which was disclosed to my (federal government) employer last year. I have recently been given a new supervisor but she micromanages me. I've told her and her boss it makes my condition worse. I am now on sick leave with a certificate and I have said I will be back at work next week.

Both bosses keep ringing and texting me (while I'm on leave) wanting to discuss. Is this appropriate (harassment while on leave?) and is it legally ok for me to not discuss until I'm back at work?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi,

In general, no it is not appropriate for them to be contacting you whilst you are on sick leave, unless either it is actually urgent, and needs to be dealt with prior to your return or you consent.

Maybe ask the doctor to write a certificate that specifically says you are not fit to attend work and not fit to discuss work related matters with staff from there. Good luck.

Reactions: belstanford

Lance

31 October 2015
Your employer may be over compensating. Worried that they have caused your sick leave because you said the micromanaging makes your condition worse.

It might be easily dealt with if they call again for you to just tell them that you need to be left alone to allow recovery. Other than that I agree with Paul that you may need a medical certificate detailing your restrictions