NSW Harassment Case Against MAX Employment and Centrelink?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Annaliese

2 April 2017
Hi,

I'm currently on Newstart Allowance with Centrelink and have been on a rolling medical certificate since approximately June 2015 with chronic migraines, depression and PTSD. In this period I have been in hospital 4 times (I'm currently in hospital now).

Despite being on a medical certificate that clearly states I'm unfit for work, Centrelink has paired me with a job network provider - MAX Employment. MAX Employment (MAX) also have my medical certificates and are aware of my predicament. However, despite this, MAX have consistently made appointments for me without my knowledge or consent and have texted notifications to my phone about these appointments. MAX have made it clear that if I do not attend these appointments (even though my medical certificate precludes me) my payments will be cut by Centrelink.

I have applied and been rejected for the disability payment twice. I'm under severe financial hardship with numerous medical costs. I have communicated to MAX and Centrelink that these text notifications and threats of cutting my payment are detrimental to my mental and physical health. I have asked that I not be contacted and that any communication from MAX/Centrelink during the 3 month medical certification period is being received as harassment.

I have just received a text about an appointment with MAX tomorrow (that I obviously can't attend as I'm in hospital). I received numerous harassing communications from MAX Employment while I was on a medical certificate and hospitalised in 2016 for 6 weeks.

As, I'm sure any human with a heartbeat can imagine, being gravely ill and in hospital is stressful enough without having MAX Employment/Centrelink threatening to cut payments for not attending an appointment.

Do I have a case for harassment?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do I have a case for harassment?

Unlikely.

What you can do is send them a 'cease and desist' letter, with the implication that if they do not stop and subsequently worsen your health and cause you both economic and additional health problems you will seek recovery of your damages from them.

Annaliese

2 April 2017
Unlikely.

What you can do is send them a 'cease and desist' letter, with the implication that if they do not stop and subsequently worsen your health and cause you both economic and additional health problems you will seek recovery of your damages from them.

Thanks Rod. Your response was helpful.

Maria_L

3 March 2021
I used to work for MAX employment and left in disgust.
They pressure their employees to make appointments with them and their 2 other associated companies as they get paid from the government.
They do harrass people.
You have a right to change your provider.