NSW Half Sisters Welfare

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Freyja

10 March 2018
I'm looking on advice on how to get custody of my 14y/o half sister.
In July 2017 my 19 y/o sister and I went to court to have our step father charged for multiple accounts on the sexual assualt we experienced when living with him and our mother as children. During this court case our mother refused to speak to us and allow us to visit our youngest half sister whom he was the father of. We have been able to speak to our sister and see her for Christmas for exactly 4 hours .
My half sister is not happy to be living with my mother now that her father has been found guilty, having been moved hours away from family and friends, she is now acting out.
From what I am aware of she has made several suicide attempts and has had DoCs called on our mother multiple times but I am concerned she will not be removed from the house soon enough.
How do I go about getting custody of her?

Nugget76

21 February 2018
Hello there - I have no advice or insight in how you’d go about this but I wanted to say that I’m so grateful your sister has someone like you in her life. I lost my baby sister to suicide a few years back. I hope everything works out for your family.

Reactions: Freyja

Freyja

10 March 2018
Im
Hello there - I have no advice or insight in how you’d go about this but I wanted to say that I’m so grateful your sister has someone like you in her life. I lost my baby sister to suicide a few years back. I hope everything works out for your family.
Sorry about your sister ❤️

AllForHer

23 July 2014
How old are you? Have you called DOCS about this?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Okay, so anyone concerned with the care, welfare or development of a child can apply for parenting orders. The Court will need to review evidence to show that you fit that description before it will proceed with a hearing a matter, but being a sibling, I can't imagine that will be too difficult.

Contact Legal Aid first, they can provide legal advice, but the first step before Court is to attempt mediation with the other party, and Legal said can organise that, as well.

If you can't reach an agreement with the parents, you'll receive a s60I certificate to enable you to file an initiating application for parenting orders with the Court.

This is all a slow process, though. You need to call DOCS yourself and tell them you're scared your sister may do something stupid if she doesn't get help as soon as possible.