grandparents rights, when contact has been cut off without reason

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
23 April 2017
my daughter has cut off all contact with me and has cut off all contact with my grandchildren since 2015.
What rights do I have in regards to contact with my 2 granddaughters? Before 2015 I saw my granddaughters every week and was involved in their and my daughter's life. There has been no explanation of why contact was cut off.

MartyK

4 June 2016
If you are unable to discuss the possibly of spending some time with your grandchildren with their mother (your daughter) directly, then, as with the requirements for separated parents, your next step would be to arrange mediation between yourself and your daughter. Failing any agreement in mediation, again, like separated parents, you could make an application to the Court to spend time with the children.

Most orders, where time is granted between a grandparent and their grandchildren, is usually in the vicinity of approximately one or two consecutive weekend daytime periods every so many weeks. Objections, if any, of one, and sometimes both of the children's parents will be taken into consideration by the Court when determining if time should be granted. So too will the actual relationship between the grandparent and their grandchildren. Amongst other things.

If mediation fails and you are considering court, I would strongly suggest seeking legal advice.