WA Go to AFSA for Disputes with Debt Administrators?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DMQC

29 June 2016
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether AFSA is the place to go for all disputes regarding debt administrators. Essentially, I have an issue with the amount in fees I have been charged by the administrator and, although I could be mistaken, I believe figures were changed on the proposal after I had signed it.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do the changed figures have your initials beside them?

If not, challenge them directly with the administrator.

Reactions: DMQC

DMQC

29 June 2016
They don't, and they aren't "changed" as in crossed out, rather they are completely different than the figures that were on the forms I signed (I think). The administrator is confident the amounts are correct, but I don't think they would be inclined to admit to changing them. Nonetheless, they don't add up to the fees I was advised in an email thread.

I called ASIC but they said it's not their area, AFSA are...character building over the phone, so at a loss at who to go to next.

Thanks for your reply Rod

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
What is the background here?

DMQC

29 June 2016
Apologies, I will trying give a run-down below -

1. I engaged a Debt Administrator to create and "administer" my Part IV agreement.
  2. The administrator advised the cost to create and submit the paperwork to AFSA would be $2000.00.
  3. When the Administrator sent me the draft "proposal"/agreement it had their $2000.00 listed as a "debt". I asked about it and they advised once I paid the $2000.00 (which I have) it would be removed, they basically said it was like an "insurance" for them incase I did not pay the fee.
  4. It has been a couple of months since the agreement started, their debt is still listed on the agreement, even though I have paid the $2000.

Essentially I get the feeling they are trying to pull a "sneaky one" and get paid twice for creating the agreement. O

But not overly fussed about the issue at hand, I just wanted to know if anyone knew who to complain to :)

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014