NSW Getting an AVO on Someone Defaming You?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve500

10 March 2015
Leanne19770
A good question I don't know?
But I'll have a try
-You can certainly get an AVO/or restraining order out against someone who is defaming you, not to make personal contact with you.
-If there making defamatory statements to others, not in your company a bit hard, as that's up to the individuals if they want to, or not want to hear there opinions that may be defamatory, not the person being offended/defamed.
-Best way if it really impacts you is to sue them for defamation.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
-You can certainly get an AVO/or restraining order out against someone who is defaming you, not to make personal contact with you.
Stopping the publication of defamatory material is not usually the purpose of an Apprehended Violence Order.
Even though the usual conditions almost always include not to assault, threaten, harass, intimidate,
and usually, not to contact or approach a person, these do not have the effect of stopping a person
defaming someone to a third person.
-If there making defamatory statements to others, not in your company a bit hard, as that's up to the individuals if they want to, or not want to hear there opinions that may be defamatory, not the person being offended/defamed.
I am not at all sure what this statement means.
-Best way if it really impacts you is to sue them for defamation.
Or, you could start with a "cease and desist" letter, and then (depending on the facts and circumstances) escalate to an injunction if you need to.