QLD GAINING PRIVATE INFORMATION ON OTHER DRIVER

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jarob

25 December 2018
Hi Everyone,

My car was involved in a pretty serious side swap on the Pacific Motorway early last year.

My car is fitted with forward and rear facing car cameras and without question the other driver is 100% at fault. He was all over the road while behind my car, accelerated and swooped into the right side of my car. Immediately after hitting my car he accelerated aggressively and without a blinker dangerously swooped in and out of traffic up ahead to get away. This is all caught on video. He was driving a white senator.

I spoke to the police a couple of months back and asked what the outcome is. They stated he has been caught and given an infringement notice for not stopping at a car accident and giving details. But wouldn't give me any further information because they stated he is protected by privacy laws.

Basically I'm chasing exactly what he has been hit with. There is no chance I will let it slide if he has only been given a traffic infringement for such extreme dangerous driving. If he was literally half a foot over to his left at the very least someone would have got seriously hurt because my car would have copped full impact at a vulnerable angle. Then to drive like he did after the fact is at the very least dangerous/hoon driving.

So my basic question is, how do I get the full information on what he has been charged with? Is it possible? And how on earth does the media get that information and report it to the public everyday?

Thanks in advance,
Jarob

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I spoke to the police a couple of months back and asked what the outcome is. They stated he has been caught and given an infringement notice for not stopping at a car accident and giving details. But wouldn't give me any further information because they stated he is protected by privacy laws.
That's basically right.
Basically I'm chasing exactly what he has been hit with.
It appears they have told you already.
There is no chance I will let it slide if he has only been given a traffic infringement for such extreme dangerous driving
That's not your choice.
If he was literally half a foot over to his left at the very least someone would have got seriously hurt because my car would have copped full impact at a vulnerable angle. Then to drive like he did after the fact is at the very least dangerous/hoon driving.
The art in good prosecution practice is to only lay the charges that are supported by the evidence.
Do they have your video? It may show other/ further offences.
So my basic question is, how do I get the full information on what he has been charged with?
You don't. In any event, you've already been told.
Is it possible?
Not in the kind of detail you want.
And how on earth does the media get that information and report it to the public everyday?
The fact that charges have been laid can be made public. It's not always in the kind of detail you're hoping for. And also, some individual cops leak.

Jarob

25 December 2018
Hi Tim,

They were vague in offering information, so I'm not exactly sure what the guy has been hit with.

The police have the video yes and it clearly shows him swooping in and out of traffic at high speed. No blinkers, from left to right across 3 lanes in a flash and back again.

"That's not your choice."

Maybe so but I can get the media involved somehow. I have the best car cameras on the market and the video clearly shows dangerous/hoon driving.

These guys wipe families out, they got no respect for life or limb and that level of dangerous driving shouldn't be ignored.

Anyhow cheers for the message, been a great help.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
If you've taken this up with an insurance company, then you can probably get that information through them.

Going by what the Police told you, I would think that they took action against the driver under section 93(2) "Duties of a driver involved in a crash—stopping and providing information" of the QLD Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995.

Max penalty is $2,611. (20 penalty units. From 1 July 2018, one penalty unit in QLD = $130.55.)

Raises an interesting question though - how do the Police determine the penalty where they issue an infringement notice and the relevant secion only states a maximum penalty? Do they automatically use the max? (@Bill Murray would be the best person to clarify this one.) If so, then $2611 is a good result and I'd leave it alone.

I have read that 12 months imprisonment is also an option, even though s93 only indicates a fine. I assume that this would be an option if the matter ends up being dealt with by a court.

Last edited:

Jarob

25 December 2018
Accident was April 2018 so just before new legislation, however doubt it would be much different from amended one.

Thanks for your help guys, great forum.

Regards