NSW Funding Family Law Legal Action with Superannuation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve1905

21 November 2014
Sydney
Hi,

I earn too much to get legal aid and way too little to pay solicitor fees. I am barely able to support my 2 other sons who i have custody of. I would like to know if i can access my superannuation to fund my custody hearings. There are currently no court orders in place and i am being blocked at every turn to get access to my 6 year old son. Besides school he is basically locked away from the world to stop me seeing him. My ex does not work and will get legal aid.

I thank you in advance for any help.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Steve0107,
There are other forum members more familiar with Family Law so I look forward to reading their responses in relation to your apparent access and custody issue.

My understanding is that, as a general rule, early release of superannuation is unavailable to pay legal costs related to a family law dispute. That said, you should contact your superannuation fund to confirm your eligibility for early release of superannuation. Further information is also available under the Department of Human Services' Early Release of Superannuation page.

Please keep us updated with your progress. All the best!

Steve1905

21 November 2014
Sydney
Hi @Steve0107,
There are other forum members more familiar with Family Law so I look forward to reading their responses in relation to your apparent access and custody issue.

My understanding is that, as a general rule, early release of superannuation is unavailable to pay legal costs related to a family law dispute. That said, you should contact your superannuation fund to confirm your eligibility for early release of superannuation. Further information is also available under the Department of Human Services' Early Release of Superannuation page.

Please keep us updated with your progress. All the best!

Thank you John,
I have used this site for custody advice as well. I have also been to mediation, family law duty solicitor and a solicitor. All say I'm doing the right thing and will get custody if she neglects to let me see him as she does not have his welfare in mind. This will cost me money I don't have and take some time which doesn't help my son now. That's the reason to see if I can free up my super.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Steve I agree with John's comments. It is notoriously hard to get access to super money early. It usually requires a real almost emergency situation like where you are about to lose your house because you cannot pay the mortgage. Good luck with it all.

Reactions: CathL

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
Firstly Steve......SNAP brother! it's been 21 months now since our beautiful daughter (7 nearly) was secured away under the shameful guise of " love " [Redacted by Moderator - Breach of Community Guidelines] so I feel for ya mate, I really do.

If you know your right & know in your heart you've something to offer your little bloke by way of a dad ......self-represent !? What happened at mediation? [Redacted by Moderator - Breach of Community Guidelines]

I tried all avenues to keep it out of court invites to post-separation counselling, arbitrators, parenting plan input & finally FDR mediation where the DV method gets the exemption so no mediation. Only option left is filing. Quicker you get it rolling the lesser the "status quo " duration is as in mum & child's new home/life. Nightmare!!

** PAUL **
with regards to super early if about to lose house. Due mainly to the above I fell into a deep pit for while & am in strife with my lender who refused to issue the "3 + 12 letter " to my super fund that would allow them to release 3months of payments + 12 months of interest as they realized I lost my job.

Question ...If in the supreme court & bank seeking possession will a judge demand the bank provide the letter?? As I'm in the ridiculous predicament of having a 160K mortgage that is matched give or take 5K as what the balance of my Superfund is. I'm struggling to get my head around fact I may be made homeless & be living in a bush down the park safe in knowledge I got nice stack in the super still? AAAGGhhhh

Last edited by a moderator: