VIC Friend Arrested for Indecent Exposure - Will He Go to Jail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chard85

18 December 2015
Hi there,

My friend was recently arrested for indecent exposure and for masturbating in a public place while on the beach. He has never been arrested before or warned, so this is his first offence though he admitted that he has done it once before to the police while being questioned.

I was wondering if he is found guilty, what's the chance of him not going to jail?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Arrested, but was "your friend" charged?

Chard85

18 December 2015
No he wasn't charged but he will have to go to a Magistrate court. Though, as stated, this is his first offence and he has been honest with police. I was just wondering what happens to first time offenders of said crime, would they send said person to jail or would he just get a hefty fine?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If "he" hasn't been charged, then why does he have to go to court?

Chard85

18 December 2015
My friend must've been charged then, as police said that they will send him a summons to go to court via the mail. (Sorry, I don't really understand this law stuff).

N Knight

27 December 2015
There is a duty lawyer that he is able to see.
Before one can actually say if someone is going to jail - the circumstances surrounding the offending must occur.

Reactions: Tim W