QLD Foreign Drivers Licence - Apply for Special Hardship to Drive?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Yuly

7 March 2017
Hi guys,

I just would like to know if a foreign drivers licence can apply for a special hardship to drive? Or a work authorization to drive?

I work as a courier and I need my foreign drivers licence back to provide financially to my love ones. I am in Queensland.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

I will have to present myself at court and I am really scared what's going to happen.

Arche

20 March 2015
Hi Yuly

A little more information is needed here. Have you been charged with a driving offence? Why do you have to go to Court?

Do you have a valid Queensland licence or only an overseas licence?

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hi,

As above you did not provide enough information about why you want to go to court.

As for a foreign licence, you are not able to drive although a lot of people may say otherwise. From a legal point of view, ask yourself what authority do you have to drive a vehicle in a country where you do not have a licence?

The best way is to get an international licence. Once you get the international licence, then you are authorised to drive in the foreign country.

Now assuming if you have an infringement and you don't have a valid licence, (as I explained above), I think it will not be good outcome. But the court may give you a warning or the minimum if you provide that you have hardship and never had any problem with the law (that includes good driving record in Australia).

Sorry to give this bad news, but this what I think. I am not a lawyer, this is from my observation.

Good luck.

Yuly

7 March 2017
Hi Yuly

A little more information is needed here. Have you been charged with a driving offence? Why do you have to go to Court?

Do you have a valid Queensland licence or only an overseas licence?

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your questions.

Well, my case it's a little bit complicated. I've got an overseas open drivers licence and after some years. A policeman told me that I need it a QLD drivers licence so I applied for it and I couldn't pass my practical exam. Then I realised that I don't need to get one as I am on a temporary visa.

I've got a learner QLD driver licence and now is suspended.

I keep driving while suspended and I got caught now I got my court next week, don't know if I have any options left.

Arche

20 March 2015
Hi Yuly,

From what I can see on the Queensland Government transport website, you can drive generally on an overseas licence if you here on a temporary visa.

However, if you failed a practical driving test after January 1 2014 then your authority to drive on that overseas licence is withdrawn ie you are not allowed to drive on your overseas licence and you have failed a driving test so you can't immediately get a full Qld licence either. That is my reading of it. Is it the case that you failed your test, you continued (apparently wrongly) to drive on your overseas licence, got caught and now your learner licence is suspended?

Have you approached legal aid for advice? Are you going to Court because you have applied for a Special Hardship Order?

All I can suggest at this point is that you go to Court and tell the Magistrate your story as best you can, including why you need your licence. Plus, stop driving while you are suspended - especially if you failed the practical test!