Flooded Car in Netball Car Park - Car Insurance Write Off?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ratley

27 March 2015
Hi, my car was parked in the car park of a Netball club. There are no signs to say that the car park is prone to flooding and is close to a creek. On Saturday, we had a sudden and large storm during our game. The netball association did not call off the games so we were not allowed to leave the venue. But the time they announced that the games were cancelled, the cars in the carpark were flooded. Mine, half way up the doors. My car insurance company will not repair the car and it has to be written off.

My question is, are the netball association liable in any way? There is no signage warning that the carpark floods, nor did they call off the games in a timely manner, or even put over the p.a. system to move your cars, the creek is rising. I am going to be out of pocket a stack of money because of their lack of responsibility.
Thanks

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Ratley,
You would have to show negligence on the part of the netball association and that is determined based on what duty of care they owe you as a member and whether that extends to your property. It could be difficult to establish. I would call a solicitor for advice on this one.

Ratley

27 March 2015
Hi Ratley,
You would have to show negligence on the part of the netball association and that is determined based on what duty of care they owe you as a member and whether that extends to your property. It could be difficult to establish. I would call a solicitor for advice on this one.

Hi Ivy Thanks for that. I will contact a solicitor for advise then.