VIC First time positive drug driving offence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Thehooon

5 October 2018
IHi all,
So in the first week of July, I failed a roadside drug test, then failed the second lab test. Received an "Infringement Notice" in the mail 1st week of September with Lab Toxocology report and Notice of suspension.
The infringement notice clearly states that suspension is for 6 months, however, At the bottom of the cover letter it contradicts itself (see attached image)
Dropbox - img005.jpg
for reference, the date on the penalty notice is sep 5.

Am I interpreting this statement wrong? Any advice would be great. Cheers

Thehooon

5 October 2018
IHi all,
So in the first week of July, I failed a roadside drug test, then failed the second lab test. Received an "Infringement Notice" in the mail 1st week of September with Lab Toxocology report and Notice of suspension.
The infringement notice clearly states that suspension is for 6 months, however, At the bottom of the cover letter it contradicts itself (see attached image)
yzS7auu.jpg

for reference, the date on the penalty notice is sep 5.

Am I interpreting this statement wrong? Any advice would be great. Cheers

Last edited:

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
I agree that it is ambiguous. It should read 6 months. If you drove after 3 months and claimed that you weren't sure they would respond that it was up to you to check with VicRoads.

Thehooon

5 October 2018
I agree that it is ambiguous. It should read 6 months. If you drove after 3 months and claimed that you weren't sure they would respond that it was up to you to check with VicRoads.

Thanks for the reply Tony.
The suspension commenced on October 3. I called the Vicroads demerit point hotline this morning and it says I currently have "ZERO demerit points against my license" and no mention of any current suspension.