QLD First Time in Family Court - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
29 January 2019
Today my partner and I attended family court to pursue 4 DVO's we got there at 9am and asked for a duty lawyer. We ended up waiting until 1:20pm. I went and asked when my partner would be seen by a duty lawyer. I was then told there was a conflict of interest. They are associated with the family so we would not be seeing a duty lawyer and they are fighting the DVO's so out of all the lawyers in the courthouse not one was available to us.

We then got called in at 1:45pm. My partner had no idea what to say or do, so we asked for it to be adjourned.

My question is why was no one able to help her in any way and we are the aggrieved. How are we not the priority over the other party? Nobody told us anything. We have never been to court before and had no idea what to do.

Can anybody help me as to what to do next?

Tremaine

5 February 2019
Contact Legal Aid to organise a consultation with them for free legal advice and to see if you're eligible for Legal Aid representation.