Fined using mobile phone driving but...

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sengiy00

17 October 2014
Hi guys,

I was on My way to a police station because I had a family member that had been arrested for assaulting my mother. I had a few messages from my mother and my brother. I was worried about mum and I called my brother back and had my iPhone on speaker phone with the phone on the passenger seat. It started breaking up and I picked up the phone in my left and (but did not put it to my ear) and I was stationary at a set of lights. I got caught by highway patrol. I got fined. I also got a call from police and a text message saying to call them urgently. The test came 10 min after getting booked. Is any of this an excuse and should I take to court?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Nope. You haven’t said what state you’re in but the rules are essentially all the same. You can’t use a mobile phone while you’re driving. Not speak... use. It’s the distraction factor, and the resulting failure to drive while paying due care and attention. Stopped at lights is still driving.