NSW Finding Out About Estranged Family - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jessica

1 November 2017
My father and I have been estranged since early 2013. I recently tried to reconnect with him this year, as my grandmother is quite frail and I thought it's best to see her before I'm too late. They live in Sydney and I live in Queensland, so my uncle got someone to go around to their house to see if they're home...

The neighbour informed the friend that my father passed away in 2014! And my grandmother before him. I contacted my godfather who told me a similar story except my grandmother is alive but has dementia. She doesn't remember me. And my father wasn't on my birth certificate.

I have photos and a card here and there from him to me. But don't how I go about proving he was my dad. I have A.S.D so this is incredibly overwhelming. But I need answers and I don't know who to ask.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

sammy01

27 September 2015
If Grandma has dementia might be best to leave her alone... Maybe the God-father is the best person to talk to... What about your mum?

Jessica

1 November 2017
If Grandma has dementia might be best to leave her alone... Maybe the God-father is the best person to talk to... What about your mum?
My mother moved me up to Queensland and hid me from him. She is no help, my father's best friend (not the godfather) reportedly cleared the house out the day my dad died. And my grandmother was out on the street crying. They called the police but as he's not on my birth certificate they couldn't do much, especially my grandma denined ever having a grand child. I want to get my father on my birth certificate. Then I feel I will be able to get answers. But I don't know where to go for that.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This must be a very difficult thing for you to go through, I am sorry.

Perhaps the place to start would be a call to the Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state. They might not have the exact answers you need, but they might be able to help get you on the right track.