NSW Final hearing but cant afford solicitor

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Patricia Wright

21 May 2017
Final hearing coming up for my husband in 6 weeks. We are currently in the process of completing the final affadavit.

The one question i have is...
My husband has represented himself through this whole process and while we have had assistance with completing affadavits etc we have had no one represent in court.
Given this is a final hearing and the family report writer has been asked to give evidence, will he need a barrister?

We are in no position to pay someone so need to know if he can still self represent in the final hearing?

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Yes he can. Has he been training himself?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Go to court a few weeks before your trial and sit in the back of the room and observe other trials.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Go to court a few weeks before your trial and sit in the back of the room and observe other trials.
This is a must to do if you do not know what is going to happen in a final hearing and should really have happened months ago

You also need to go and watch the actual judge you are in front of when I did this I learnt so many things about their style and it really helped

Patricia Wright

21 May 2017
This is a must to do if you do not know what is going to happen in a final hearing and should really have happened months ago

You also need to go and watch the actual judge you are in front of when I did this I learnt so many things about their style and it really helped

We didn’t think that it would get to this point as it is relatively simple case just birth mother now being difficult. What does help is the judge seems to be happy with everything we have done and the attempts we have made to settle out of court and is unhappy with birth Mother’s lack of compromise on absolutely everything. The report writer that has been called to give evidence has given a recommendation in our favour and we have offered this and yet again been declined.

Court is over an hour away from where we live so not really accessible for my husband to go and watch as he works during the week. But I guess we probably need to make that happen.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Yes you do need to make it happen. Is there an icl?