QLD Filing for Restraining order against former employer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bundy Bob

1 June 2017
Hi,
I left an employer 7 years ago in 2010 and of late, they have been forwarding voicemail from one of their phones to my personal mobile.
I have gone through the process of annoying calls and the TIO.
The carrier was not able to persuade the company to stop the practice as the calls fall below the minimum calls over a month to allow them to take action.
The TIO was unable to persuade the carrier as they offered to change my mobile number, a number that I have had since 1995, with changes of front end to accommodate changes from analogue to digital. My family all have the same number with a different prefix from the same carrier.

It looks like the only way I am going to make them stop is to get a restraining order and have them break it, thus causing them financial pain.

What steps can I follow? I do not qualify for legal aid due to savings.

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
YOu can't take an avo out against a business. It has to be on one individial... Do you know who it is that might be sending the messages?
Are they threatening? IF not then you're wasting your time

You would not need legal assistance. If the police see that there are grounds for an AVO they will make the application... BUT unless the messages are threatening or abusive, you're wasting your time.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You probably need a lawyer. Likely cause of action - private nuisance in local magistrates court.

Have you contacted the company concerned? It may simply be that someone has left your mobile on speed dial and is forwarding to the wrong speed dial number.

Bundy Bob

1 June 2017
You probably need a lawyer. Likely cause of action - private nuisance in local magistrates court.

Have you contacted the company concerned? It may simply be that someone has left your mobile on speed dial and is forwarding to the wrong speed dial number.
thanks,

the phone in question is a new phone, not around when I was employed