VIC Filing a response to an application of divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cinnamon

12 October 2020
I have received an application of divorce from my former partner. I would like to respond without the use of my lawyers to not incur any more legal expenses. The documentation is straight forward though there are typos/ errors on the document (birth dates for example) which I have brought forth to the applicant's lawyer. The applicants lawyer noted and confirmed the receipt of the typos/ errors I brought forth, though obviously cannot legally advise if I should apply for a response to the application of divorce. The applicant has not given a response/ instruction to his lawyer to amend / change the typos/errors. The applicant's lawyer said I can maybe just bring the changes forth on the day (8 June 2021) to the registrars attention.

Any advice would be very grateful.

Atticus

6 February 2019
there are typos/ errors on the document (birth dates for example)
If you are required to attend court for the divorce anyway, ie, you have kids under 18, you can have the registrar to deal with it at the time as suggested by lawyer, otherwise, returning the response with the correct information will save you attending.

Reactions: cinnamon

cinnamon

12 October 2020
sshh...
You're not planning on framing the divorce certificate?
So stress less.
If you are required to attend court for the divorce anyway, ie, you have kids under 18, you can have the registrar to deal with it at the time as suggested by lawyer, otherwise, returning the response with the correct information will save you attending.
How do I actually complete a response?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Don't know .... I imagine they will either consult the applicant & amend the mistakes if the applicant agrees with your alterations...OR, raise the matter at the hearing

cinnamon

12 October 2020
Don't know .... I imagine they will either consult the applicant & amend the mistakes if the applicant agrees with your alterations...OR, raise the matter at the hearing
ok where do I file the form?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Click on the link I provided .... Instructions on how to register & E file are at the beginning in a highlighted box...

If you have trouble with that, I would call court registry for instruction on how to file

cinnamon

12 October 2020
Click on the link I provided .... Instructions on how to register & E file are at the beginning in a highlighted box...

If you have trouble with that, I would call court registry for instruction on how to file
Thank you Atticus, much appreciated.

Reactions: Atticus