NSW Faulty service at local repair shop

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lurkette

5 June 2016
I entered into a service agreement with a local computer repair shop to repair my computer six months ago.

They told me they ordered four parts but all of them have been faulty. I don't know if this is true or they're making excuses.

I went to look up the situation on the ACCC web site and it seems to suggest I'm entitled to either a free repair or a repair at anther repair shop and pass the cost on to them.

Today I asked the shop to either give me a free repair or agreet to pay tor the repair at a larger repair shop.

The shop refusedd either remedy. They told me that they've spent quite a lot of money on shipping parts back and forth and the agreement is already a large loss for them. They gave me three days to pick up my computer and take a refund of the money I paid at the start of the service agreement.

They explained the remedies only apply if you buy a defective product (like a new computer) with a repariable defect and that repair takes too long. They said it doesn't cover regular repair services like their shop. They also said there hasn't been a fault in their service because they're not to blame if their supplier sends faulty parts. According to the repair shop my service only becomes faulty if they get a good part and they can't install it.

Is that correct or am I entitled to ask for a remedy of my choice because of the time involved/repeated failures to fix my computer?

Here's what I was looking at on the ACCC page:

"Repairs"

If the problem with a product or service is minor, you must accept a free repair if the business offers you one.

If the business fails to give you a free repair within a reasonable time or cannot fix your problem, you can:

* get it done elsewhere and pass on the costs to the business
* ask for a replacement
* ask for a refund
* recover compensation for the drop in value below the price paid.

The repair shop says this part of the ACL doesn't apply to their repair service.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The repair shop says this part of the ACL doesn't apply to their repair service.

The repair shop is wrong.

Your remedy will depend on what you've paid to-date.

6 months is too long for a standard PC computer that is <5 years old. I'd be getting it fixed elsewhere then decide what to do with the first repair shop.

Some old PCs, particularly laptops can be hard to repair as new parts are not always readily available, particularly if the PC was bought overseas.

Reactions: Lurkette

Lurkette

5 June 2016
I'm looking for another repair shop now and I'll have t fixed before I return to the first shop.

I paid money for the part. It was a little over $100. I didn't pay money for the labour because the shop writes an invoice when the computer is repaired.

Since you're kindly answering questions, how does the remedy change depenting on what I paid? I'd like to protect myself in the future.

I clicked on the "like" button to thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
how does the remedy change depenting on what I paid?

Whether you paid parts or labour or a mix.

If you paid $100 and the part works you'd pay for the part. If you'd paid $100 for labour and nothing works then you'd likely be entitled to your money back.