VIC Father Not on Birth Certificate - Need Consent Letter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ces

3 September 2016
Hi,

I hope someone can help me regarding my questions.

My kids and I are applying for Australian citizenship. The case officer asked me to provide a letter from their father who is overseas a consent letter that he will allow the kids to become a citizen.The father's name is not on the birth certificate and no signature at all from him.

Do I still have to provide that consent letter? What if I can't contact him anymore or he doesn't want to sign? Do I have other options? Please help me what I'm going to do. The case officer gave me only 14 days to provide that letter.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have you provided copies of the birth certificates (showing no name of the father) to the case officer?

ces

3 September 2016
Yes, I did, butIi think the case officer didn't check that his name is not there.

When I applied for permanent resident, I hadn't provided any consent letter from their father.

ces

3 September 2016
Hi Rod, do I really have to provide that consent letter or no?

Please help me out.

ces

3 September 2016
When she collect the documents, she hadn't looked at the birth certificate. She just checked the kids' name and she said at the end that I have to get a consent letter from their father.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Just say there is no father and ask her to check the birth certificates. See what she says after that.