Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Family violence restraining order breach

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Mark Carroll, 8 May 2018.

  1. Mark Carroll

    Mark Carroll Member

    8 May 2018
    Likes Received:
    Hi my name is Mark Carroll. I received a interim family violence restraining order 8 weeks ago. Served by my wife.

    I was arrested last Wednesday after handing myself into the police as I had breached the vro. I have been charged with 8 counts, all text messages. Kept in Perth watch house and court next morning.

    I was granted bail and have to return to court on 5th June 2018.

    The text messages were not abusive, aggressive or anything of that nature. They were informing I had moved house, also about my kids.

    Also that I was thinking of returning to the uk. Mainly it was just informing my wife for the children who are 5 and 15.

    But yes I breached the vro.

    In our 15 years of marriage I have never been violent. I was a prison officer for the last 10 years until recently, I lost my job and became homeless My wife was my best friend so having the vro and not allowed contact I felt I had again lost something.

    The judge said to me to get legal advice as could incur prison time. Never been so scared.

    I can't sleep or eat, too scared to contact my wife regarding my kids. Feel so alone constantly worrying.

    My vro does say I am allowed to communicate with my wife regarding making arrangements to spend time with or communicate with any child.

    I have no money, contacted legal aid who said see a duty lawyer on the day. Scares me to think having a possible 10 minute conversation with someone who does not know me, then they represent me and try to avoid jail time.

    I am a good guy, yes I made a mistake but believe me after being arrested I learned the hard way. I want all this behind me and get on with my life.

    Even if I do escape prison, I worry about the record as looking for a job.

    Not sure how much more I can take

    Thank you for listening
  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    ok so posting on the family law section would have been a good idea.

    Do not contact her....
    You contacted her.. She didn't have to go to the cops, but she did...

    So you know what you're up against. Dont contact her, not even about the kids.

    You're gonna need a solicitor.
    As far as family law stuff. Call Relationships Australia. They can help get you some mediation and hopefully get an agreement about when the kids see you.
    Stay calm. It will be ok
  3. Adam1user

    Adam1user Well-Known Member

    5 January 2018
    Likes Received:
    I can add: is to get as many as possible of personal and professional references. This will surely help you out. I think if you can show what happened was out of character this would come to your advantage. Every body faces black days in their life and will act out of character under pressure. This does not mean you will be off the hook, but it will assist.
    I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page