VIC Family Violence Intervention Order and Citizenship Application

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

UAHM

29 December 2018
Hi, My wife has taken the intervention order against me and within 3 months she wants to come back by changing the intervention orders. We both are permanent residents and our application for citizenship is due in 3 years. My question is that going to affect my citizenship application i.e intervention order? Even though by the time it will be expired and almost 2 years would have been passed. Please advise.

Ann Zhou

Lawyer & Registered Migration Agent
27 January 2017
Sydney
lawtap.com
Hi UAHM,
To apply for an Australian citizen, you need to meet good character test. If you are not convicted from the domestic violence, you should be fine. But is police start to prosecute you and you are convicted, then you certainly will have character issues under Citizenship Act.

You might want to know more on our website article on the home page under the tag "criminal defence & visa"

Ann @ expatlawyers.com.au

ryan_manny

6 June 2022
Hey,

I have a similar scenario. I have an Intervention order against me, got it on May 2022. I had applied for my citizenship with my wife August 2021

Will this order affect my citizenship application? There is no criminal conviction and police old me it is only a civil case. My wife is not pursuing for any criminal charges. What are my chances? If someone could throw some insights please??

Thanks

Salman3080

7 June 2022
Hey,

I have a similar scenario. I have an Intervention order against me, got it on May 2022. I had applied for my citizenship with my wife August 2021

Will this order affect my citizenship application? There is no criminal conviction and police old me it is only a civil case. My wife is not pursuing for any criminal charges. What are my chances? If someone could throw some insights please??

Thanks
I am in same situation