NSW Family Law - Verify Section 51 of the Australian Constitution?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dave Pearsen

10 May 2015
Section 51(xxxvii) of the Australian Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can anyone confirm if this Wikipedia summary is generally correct and accurate, specifically regarding the section titled "No jurisdiction over de facto relationships outside Australia" in the constitution? Is this section summary true in all cases? Or are there certain cases whereby the Australian family law court could enforce de facto status onto couples engaged in relationships outside of Australia (and then make rulings about a division of assets, etc)?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If the parties aren't Australian citizens or haven't been living in Australia such that they consider Australia their usual home and have residency, it won't have jurisdiction over their relationship or any aspect of it, including property settlement. The Constitution rules all. No other legislation in Australia can lawfully decry the Constitution.

Reactions: Dave Pearsen

Dave Pearsen

10 May 2015
Thank you.

Could it have jurisdiction when an Australian citizen has a de facto relationship in a foreign country with a foreign citizen?

What if two Australian citizens have a de facto relationship in a foreign country that are ordinarily resident in?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Perhaps tell us more of your story?
We can't give you proper answers by poking through fog with a stick.

Dave Pearsen

10 May 2015
Hi Tim,

My questions aren't in regards to a particular case, I'm doing some research on the topic generally.

If you can direct me to any useful online resources to do more in-depth research the topic, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney

Dave Pearsen

10 May 2015
Thanks, I've read though those materials.

I was looking more for interpretations and opinions on the section given by experts, such as given on the Wikipedia page.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I think you're looking for an answer to a specific question.
Just ask it.