VIC Family Law - Termination of Orders by Judge?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Taritbe

25 October 2017
Has anyone had a judge pass the law that if a child isn't returned that the police can collect the child and the orders be terminated?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No Court has ever, or indeed, would ever determine that such orders were in the best interests of the child on a final basis.

If the other parent withholds the child, the avenue of remedy is a contravention order application and a recovery order application, not a complete discharge or parenting orders and a absolute severance of the child's relationship with that parent...

sammy01

27 September 2015
So hypothetically, you have the kid with you? You won't let the other parent see the kid without court orders for fear the kid won't be returned? U'm but that is what you're doing? Right?

So you want court orders to ensure the kid is returned? And now that you know that the cops won't intervene - what next? The other parent will never see the kid because the rules around this stuff won't make sure the kid is returned on the day as per the orders? But you're not letting the other parent see the kid? See the contradiction?

InPerson Legal

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
30 October 2017
Victoria
lawtap.com
In the circumstances where a recovery order is made to return children in accordance with court orders, it makes sense, and is quite often the case, that said orders will be revoked and new orders to be made in their place. This would occur either on an interim or final basis, depending on the facts of the case.

Sure, I see the contradiction, that one parent would withhold children (despite court orders) because of a concern that the other parent wouldn't return them. In any case, where a parent contravenes an order and a recovery order is necessary, it would stand to reason that the existing orders are not practical or effective and need a re-evaluation of the matter, whether or not that means continuing contact with the contravening parent or not.

Situations like these warrant a consultation with a lawyer to fully understand the circumstances of the case. Being a lawyer myself, I can only provide limited information as a response to your question, but I hope it helps none the less.