QLD Family Law Issues with Ex-Husband - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marie.joy2016

4 December 2016
I'm just inquiring.

I currently have a DVO on my ex-husband. He has claimed it to be false etc on Facebook and slandering me etc. I have asked him to be civil as we do have children and to sign a divorce and sell the property and go our separate ways.

I have emailed him requesting all documents ect, to do this and just get abuse. I have also informed him not to sell any property until it's all been filed in the courts and settled.

I have just found out he has sold one of our cars, yet refuses to pay child support etc as his excuse is he doesn't see his children, so why should he and also refuses to help with mortgage etc?

I work in retail and may need to quit my job tomorrow as I can't do the hours and have no one to look after the kids as I have no family etc here so I have no support at all.

What can I do under Family Law?

I don't have the money for a solicitor as I'm trying to support my children and have no idea if I can have him charged with selling the car, etc.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So why isn't he seeig the kids? Call Child Support Agency. They can collect child support on your behalf.

Marie.joy2016

4 December 2016
He doesn't have accommodation etc for them. States he will only see them in my house, which due to DVO etc, I don't feel safe to do this.

running

13 March 2016
Ring the Women's Legal Service in your state and they will provide over the phone legal advice. Also apply for Legal Aid (although you may not be eligible). They will advise about starting the ball rolling with property settlement. The sooner the better, if he is selling stuff.

Apply for Child Support. You only get paid since you apply. Whether or not he pays it is another matter.

You can also get the DVO varied to stop him posting about you on FB.

Good luck!