WA Family Law - How to Get American Divorce Registered in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

legalcourt1

22 November 2015
We got married in Australia 2011. We have one child, born in 2011. The American Court decided the divorce and granted her full custody of children in the USA, ordering me to pay $400 per month (which I don't pay because she doesn't ask for it).
Anyways, now I want to register a court decree in Australia.What is the procedure under Family Law?

S

Sophea

Hi legalcourt1

For most purposes, it is not necessary to formally register your divorce for the purposes of informing Australian authorities of your unmarried status. You would simply produce your American divorce papers when / if a situation arises where you need to prove your relationship status and in most cases, this will simply be recognised as an Australian divorce would be.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Correct. You will need to provide the divorce decree to the celebrant so they can affirm your are legally able to marry as part of the notice of intention to marry that must be filed prior to the marriage taking place. It is not necessary to register the decree with the court, though.