VIC Family Law - Can Mother Pull Out 20-Year-Old Son from TAFE?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tahlia1205

16 November 2016
Hello

My partner is 20 years old and is studying at Tafe and he loves it but on the other hand, his mother keeps forcing him to stop going but he wants to keep going now. She also keeps saying 'if you don't pull out, I'll pull out for you' and he gets really mad cause he loves it there.

Under family law, is she allowed to do that cause he is 20?

Lance

31 October 2015
Aside from the regular parental control a mother wields over her son for most of his life based on the information stated above, no your partner's mother does not have any right to withdraw him from his studies. So unless your partner's mother has some sort of court ordered authority over your partner because of diminished capacity or another reason, I would say no, your partner is free to make his own choices.

Generally, you are legally independent at 18 unless you are emancipated (set free from the authority of your parents) at a younger age.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep - tell him to go see the TAFE admin. They probably have a counsellor or a welfare officer. Talk to them. Just in case - but I very very much doubt mum can do diddlie squat. Then tell him that he can tell his mum that she can try to pull him out of TAFE if she wants...and good luck with that...

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi tahlia1205,

She may try anyway. If she is as manipulative as you suggest (threatens to unenrole her son from an education course which he loves to make him angry), she is probably happy to lie to the tafe admin to get her way.

These people can be very persuasive liars.

If the son is speaking to the admin, he ought to tell them someone is threatening to unenrole him, and that under no circumstances should anyone except him be allow to alter his course info.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Regards